There seems to be a lot of excitement about our first ever Covenant Membership class this Sunday. This is very encouraging for me but at the same time it has forced me to wrestle through some tough questions.
- Why do we have membership?
- Why are we doing membership now?
- What are we asking people to sign off on?
- What are we offering our members?
- Is membership the right word/covenant/partnership?
- What would it look like if membership was a one year commitment?
- What requirements are there before someone can be a member if any?
I’ve been processing these questions with a number of people and what I am finding is the old model and mindset of what membership is/was is not helpful anymore. There was a time when membership meant one thing and it worked because of the context in which it was set up. Times have changed though and we need to explore new methods and ways of developing partnerships between the local church and the people that make up the local church. At thebridge we are working on a simple and short term solution for connecting people with our mission. Simple because we don’t have all of the answers and short term to allow for changes and flexibility.
How would you answer any of the above questions?
What would you be sure to have in place for your membership process?